Diabetes Prevention Program
Resolve To Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
The YMCA of Greensboro would like to help you along your journey towards preventing the onset of type 2 diabetes. The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program offers a variety of classes at all of our branches registering now!
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program uses a CDC-approved curriculum and is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program.
Diabetes is a condition where your body causes blood glucose (sugar) to rise higher than normal. Type 2 is the most common form of diabetes. With type 2 diabetes, your body does not use insulin properly. Initially, the pancreas makes extra insulin to make up for the insulin resistance. Over time, the pancreas cannot keep up and make enough insulin to keep blood glucose at normal levels.
Prediabetes is a condition in which individuals have blood glucose levels that are higher than normal, but not high enough to be classified as diabetes.
Measurable Progress, Unlimited Support
- The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program helps those at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a modest amount of weight in order to reduce their chances of developing the disease. The program is delivered in 25 sessions over the course of one year by a trained Lifestyle Coach.
- Discuss topics such as healthy eating, increasing physical activity, reducing stress, problem solving, and much more.
- Stay motivated to maintain progress towards program goals with monthly maintenance sessions.
- CHANGE IS TOUGH, BUT WE CAN HELP!
Classes registering NOW!
- Start August 9, 2016 – Spears Y, Tuesdays 6:00pm-7:00pm
- Start August 11, 2016 – Hayes-Taylor Y, Thursdays 5:30pm-6:30pm
- Start August 24, 2016 – Bryan Y, Wednesdays 9:30am-10:30am
- Lose 7% of your body weight
- Gradually increase your physical activity to 150 minutes per week
Do I Qualify?
There are many factors that determine if you are at risk for type 2 diabetes – lifestyle, age, family history, and weight to name a few. To qualify for the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, participants must:
- Be at least 18 years old,
- Have a BMI greater than 25
- And at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes or have been diagnosed with prediabetes.
- Get more info about qualifying.
Standard price is $429, which includes the program and a 3 month membership to the YMCA.
Cone Health Staff – $200, be sure to mention you are Cone Health Staff at the time of registration to get your discount.
All State of North Carolina health plan subscribers $25. You must register through diabetesfreenc.com to get this rate.
Learn more about registering for a class
For more information about the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, including price, financial assistance, or insurance coverage contact Tracie Heavner, MPH Director of YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program 336.478.9622 x 240.