YGUARD is a rigorous 40 hour class for ages 16 and up.
During this class, participants will learn life-saving rescue skills for an aquatic environment. Once a participant passes the class, and passes the skills and written test, they will be certified as a YMCA Lifeguard for 2 years and can lifeguard at any YMCA and most other facilities (certification requirements may vary at each location). This certification covers CPR/AED, First Aid, O2, and YGUARD life guard certification.
- A physical competency swim must be completed and passed prior to registration.
- Participants must attend all sessions, pass all written tests with an 80% or better in each section.
- Successfully perform all practical skills.
- Successfully demonstrate the ability to follow the Safe in Six principle.
- Turn in eLearning Certificates on due dates.